Thursday, March 11, 2010

"Two Pages"

I was reading my Horn Book magazine this morning, and found an interesting tidbit of advice from none other than the Great Katherine Paterson, author of one of my favorites ever: Bridge to Terabithia.  She was just awarded the position of the National Ambassador for Young People's Literature (CONGRATS!!), and the entire March/April issue was dedicated to her.  In one of the articles, an author (Linda Sue Park) talks about how following Katherine's simple advice made her the author she is today.  What was the advice?

"Two pages a day."

This advice is pretty similar to what we are doing in my writing class, because I have found that writing for 20 minutes a day (when I finally remember to do it) usually yields about two pages of writing.  It really is true- the more you write, the better you become at doing it.  This is also the theme for Gail Carson Levine's Writing Magic: Creating Stories that Fly, a book I highly recommend for anyone who needs a push in the right direction.

Combine that book, with your timer, while typing on Write-or-Die's scary website, you're sure to get something other than cobwebs out of that hollow head of yours!

No comments:

Post a Comment