Thursday, May 6, 2010

Style or Versatile?

Lately I've been really thinking about my art style, and I've come to the conclusion that I don't really have one!  It really depends on the project I'm working on, what the customer/teacher is looking for, and the theme of the book/image.  When I work with watercolors, my art tends to look one way, but when I work with acrylic or collage, it looks another way.  I like to think of myself as being very versatile, because no matter what medium I choose to work with, or what problem is set before me, I can always come up with a finished piece that I can be proud of. 

My style or look can range from this:

Kirkland's Warbler studies and final piece in pencil, ink and watercolor


To this:
  
Gauache Baby Girl and Birthday Boy (this was actually my first try...maybe not a good example of gauache!  But the cartoony look is right on.)

 
I brought this topic up in class, and my teacher confessed that not only do many artists have the same problem- but she and her colleagues have also been discussing it lately!  They have come to the conclusion that for an up-and-coming artist such as myself, being consistent with a style or look will help me land a job better.  That way, when I send out my quarterly postcards with sample art to art directors, my style will pop into their heads for a story.  

That's all well and good, but I don't know what I want to do! I really love it all!  I guess it will just take me some time to get a better feel for what I like doing a lot, and what I like doing the least. 

But in the meantime, here's a story about an artist who's got multiple styles pretty down pat: http://pbjunkies.blogspot.com/2010/05/speaking-of-styles-melanie-watt.html  See more of her books on her Amazon Page!

No comments:

Post a Comment